The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s chief scientific in-house research agency. Our job is finding solutions to agricultural problems that affect Americans every day from field to table.
- 750 research projects within 17 National Programs
- 2000 scientists and post docs
- 6,000 other employees
- 90+ research locations, including overseas laboratories
ARS conducts research to develop and transfer solutions to agricultural problems of high national priority and provide information access and dissemination to:
- ensure high-quality, safe food, and other agricultural products;
- assess the nutritional needs of Americans;
- sustain a competitive agricultural economy;
- enhance the natural resource base and the environment and provide economic opportunities for rural citizens, communities, and society as a whole.
The ARS vision is to lead America towards a better future through agricultural research and information.