This challenge is no longer accepting new submissions.
Submit your images! Help us demonstrate how beautiful the nanoscale can be and explain how the research behind your picture may lead to nanotechnologies that benefit society.
National Science Foundation - National Nanotechnology Coordination Office
Submission Start: 01/20/2015 12:00 PM ET
Submission End: 03/31/2015 12:00 PM ET
This challenge is externally hosted.
You can view the challenge details here: http://nano.gov/EnvisioNano
DescriptionThe goal of this image contest is to envision where your research is headed and explain how “seeing” at the nanoscale is important to reaching that vision. This contest is for students conducting nanotechnology research in the United States and U.S. territories.
- The EnvisioNano contest is only open to students conducting research in the United States and U.S. territories who are at least 18 years old.
- Contest entry constitutes agreement to adhere to the rules and stipulations set forth by the NNCO.
- Any entrant or entry found to be in violation of any rule will be disqualified.
- Each entrant certifies, through submission to the contest, that the entry is his or her own original creative work and does not violate or infringe the creative work of others, as protected under copyright law.
- By entering the contest, the entrant agrees to hold NNCO harmless for all legal and administrative claims, including associated expenses that may arise from any claims related to his or her submission or its use.
- Entrants retain all copyright and equivalent rights but give NNCO nonexclusive rights to use their names, likenesses, quotes, and submissions for educational publicity and/or promotional purposes. This includes but is not limited to website display, print materials, and exhibits.
- NNCO reserves the right to use semifinalist and finalist winners’ names and entries for educational, publicity and/or promotional purposes including website or exhibition of winning entries. It is understood that entries will be shared with reporters covering these awards and for promotion of the contest itself.
- NNCO reserves the right to disqualify submissions for the contest, as appropriate.
- NNCO reserves the right to make changes to submitted text in order to make it appropriate for the intended audience.
- NNCO will not be responsible for any claims or complaints from third parties should these images be published or exhibited.
- NNCO will not respond to any claims or inquiries regarding contest results.
- NNCO will have the final say on any point not outlined in the entry rules.
- Information requested for submission will be used to determine how and if the contest is meeting its goals, purpose, and audience. Submission of this information is also necessary to contact entrants.
- All contestants agree that they, their heirs and estates shall hold harmless the United States, the employees of the Federal Government, and all NNCO employees for any and all injuries and/or claims arising from participation in this contest.
Judging CriteriaSee “Terms and conditions” section for complete description
How To EnterEmail submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include:
- Name and affiliation
- Technique used to acquire the image
- Caption (50 words or less): Explain the image, use plain language and avoid jargon
- Description (150 words or less): Explain your current research and how the image fits with the overall goal of your work – again, use plain language to tell why your research is important
- Funding source: Include award/grant number if possible
- Laboratory website: Include link to the lab where you work, if available