This challenge is no longer accepting new submissions.
Innovation in Affordable Housing Student Competition
Calling all graduate students! Create multi-disciplinary teams to form a plan and make a real world impact. Submit innovative ideas to address a real life issue faced by a public housing authority.
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Type of Challenge: Creative (design & multimedia)
Submission Start: 11/12/2014 12:00 AM ET
Submission End: 12/18/2014 11:59 PM ET
This challenge is externally hosted.
You can view the challenge details here: http://www.huduser.org/portal/challenge/home.html
The second annual HUD Innovation in Affordable Housing Student Design and Planning Competition challenges multi-disciplinary, graduate student teams to respond to a real life affordable housing design and planning issue. The competition is sponsored by HUD’s Office of Policy Development and Research (PD&R).
Multidisciplinary teams must be comprised of a minimum of three students and a maximum of five, plus one faculty advisor. Each team must have members representing three different graduate level programs; one of which must be from an architectural or design-related program, and one of which must be from a non-architectural program. There are many acceptable permutations; here is one example for clarity:
- 2 M. Architecture candidates
- 1 M. Planning or Public Policy candidate
- 2 MBA candidates
- Encourage research and innovation to create high-quality affordable housing that strengthens the social and physical fabric of low- and moderate-income communities and neighborhoods.
- Raise practitioner and future practitioner capacity to produce more livable and sustainable housing for low- and moderate-income people.
- Foster cross-cutting team-work within the design and community development process.
Cash Prize Amount: $30000
The winning team will receive $20,000 and the runner up will receive $10,000.