This challenge is no longer accepting new submissions.
Rethink Adult Ed Challenge
Design pre-apprenticeship programs that better prepare adult learners for apprenticeships and beyond.
U.S. Department of Education
Type of Challenge: Ideas
Submission Start: 09/24/2020 09:00 AM ET
Submission End: 11/25/2020 11:59 PM ET
The Rethink Adult Ed Challenge (the Challenge) is a $750,000 competition to advance pre-apprenticeships. The Department invites eligible providers to design pre-apprenticeship programs that better prepare learners for apprenticeships and to succeed in their chosen professions.
Apprenticeships serve as an important pathway to well-paying careers across a range of industries, such as manufacturing, construction, technology, and healthcare. However, many adults miss out on these opportunities because they are not aware of apprenticeship programs or do not have the necessary skills to prepare for or gain entry to them.
Pre-apprenticeships bridge this gap by equipping people with the skills and knowledge they need to gain entry to, and succeed in, apprenticeships. Pre-apprenticeship program participants learn academic skills, time management skills, technology skills, and conflict management skills. Participants may also learn industry-specific skills, such as how to use relevant tools and machinery. Programs may also include distance learning and artificial intelligence, so they may go to scale and serve a larger population of students.
The Challenge aims to spur the creation of new pre-apprenticeship programs and increase the capacity of adult education providers to deliver high-quality programs. The Challenge will be conducted in two stages:
Stage 1 Open submissions (September 24, 2020 - November 25, 2020)
During Stage 1, eligible providers will enter the Challenge by completing a Stage 1 submission (a Preliminary Design) on the Challenge website. Up to 100 entrants will be selected as finalists to progress to Stage 2.
Stage 2 Virtual accelerator (February 2021 - July 2021)
During Stage 2, finalists will participate in a virtual accelerator, through which they will have access to a range of digital resources — such as case studies, activities, and webinars with subject matter experts. Finalists will then be invited to submit a Stage 2 submission (a Program Proposal). A judging panel will select a grand-prize winner that will receive $250,000 and up to five runners-up that will receive at least $100,000 each.
At the end of the Challenge, the resources and materials from Stage 2 will be formatted and published online for public distribution.
Total Cash Prize Pool
The challenge offers a $750,000 prize pool.
At the end of Stage 2, a grand-prize winner will receive $250,000, and up to five runners-up will receive at least $100,000 each. Any potential prizes awarded under this challenge will be paid by electronic funds transfer. Award recipients will be responsible for any applicable local, State, and Federal taxes and reporting that may be required under applicable tax laws.
Up to 100 finalists will be invited to participate in the Stage 2 virtual accelerator, where they will have access to a range of digital resources, such as case studies, activities, and webinars with subject matter experts.
The Official Rules, Terms, and Conditions for the Rethink Adult Ed Challenge are available here: www.rethinkadulted.com/rules-terms-and-conditions.
Stage 1 Finalist Selection Criteria
Up to a maximum of 25 points may be assigned during the judging of Stage 1 submissions. Independent panelists and/or judges with expertise relevant to the selection criteria may assign each submission 1-5 points in each of the criteria described below.
- Local or national need: Extent to which the entrant describes local or national industry demand for more skilled workers in the relevant field.
- Industry connection: Extent to which the entrant identifies quality apprenticeship programs and other potential industry partners.
- Skill advancement: Extent to which the entrant identifies appropriate adult education and literacy activities needed to help adult learners prepare for apprenticeships or other industry roles with opportunities for progression.
- Learner focused: Extent to which the entrant demonstrates an understanding of its prospective adult learners and their specific needs.
- Team: Extent to which the entrant demonstrates the necessary skills, experience, and commitment needed to advance its pre-apprenticeship program concept.
Stage 2 Winner Selection Criteria
Up to a maximum of 25 points may be assigned during the judging of Stage 2 submissions. Independent panelists and/or judges with expertise relevant to the selection criteria may assign 1-5 points for each selection criterion described below.
- Local or national need: Extent to which the entrant demonstrates local or national industry demand for more skilled workers in the relevant field.
- Industry connection: Extent to which the entrant has established partnership commitments to facilitate placements in apprenticeships or other industry roles with opportunities for progression.
- Skill advancement: Extent to which the program will deliver adult education and literacy activities that will equip participants with the necessary academic, occupational, and workplace skills and credentials needed to enter apprenticeships or other industry roles with opportunities for progression.
- Learner focused: Extent to which the program reflects the interests and needs of the target adult learners, such as through tailored outreach strategies and support services.
- Team: Extent to which the entrant demonstrates the necessary skills, resources, and commitment to establish and deliver a high-quality pre-apprenticeship program beyond the challenge.
How to Enter
Submission URL: https://www.rethinkadulted.com/