Posted By: Department of Energy
Category: Scientific/Engineering Submission Dates: 10 a.m. ET, Apr 27, 2015 - 12 a.m. ET, Jun 15, 2015 Winners Announced: Nov 01, 2016
The Department of Energy (DOE) sponsored Wave Energy Prize intends to double the state-of-the-art performance of wave energy conversion (WEC) devices within two years by encouraging the development of WEC devices that capture more energy from ocean waves, ultimately reducing the cost of wave energy and making it more competitive with traditional energy solutions.
The Wave Energy Prize provides an opportunity for participants to:
- Win a substantial monetary prize.
- Receive seed funding to support the build of a 1/20th scale model WEC device for testing.
- Participate in two rounds of valuable WEC testing, one of which is at the Navy’s Maneuvering and Seakeeping (MASK) Basin in Carderock, Md., the nation’s premier wave testing facility, at no cost to the finalist teams.
- Benefit from many opportunities for investor recognition.
- Contribute to the development of innovative clean energy technologies that can contribute to the nation’s energy independence.
Add to the Discussion
The rules for the Wave Energy Prize can be found at http://waveenergyprize.org/about