This challenge is no longer accepting new submissions.
The Wave Energy Prize aims to achieve game-changing improvements in the efficiency of Wave Energy Converter (WEC) devices.
Department of Energy - Energy Programs
Type of Challenge: Scientific
Submission Start: 04/27/2015 10:00 AM ET
Submission End: 06/15/2015 12:00 AM ET
DescriptionThe Department of Energy (DOE) sponsored Wave Energy Prize intends to double the state-of-the-art performance of wave energy conversion (WEC) devices within two years by encouraging the development of WEC devices that capture more energy from ocean waves, ultimately reducing the cost of wave energy and making it more competitive with traditional energy solutions. The Wave Energy Prize provides an opportunity for participants to:
- Win a substantial monetary prize.
- Receive seed funding to support the build of a 1/20th scale model WEC device for testing.
- Participate in two rounds of valuable WEC testing, one of which is at the Navy’s Maneuvering and Seakeeping (MASK) Basin in Carderock, Md., the nation’s premier wave testing facility, at no cost to the finalist teams.
- Benefit from many opportunities for investor recognition.
- Contribute to the development of innovative clean energy technologies that can contribute to the nation’s energy independence.