Wearable Alcohol Biosensor
A Wearable Alcohol Biosensor - A Second Challenge
Type of Challenge: Scientific
Submission Start: 12/10/2016 12:00 AM ET
Submission End: 05/15/2017 11:59 PM ET
The purpose of this Challenge — “A Wearable Alcohol Biosensor: A Second Challenge” — is to produce a prototype of a sleek, unobtrusive wearable capable of monitoring blood alcohol, non-invasively, and in real time. Such a device would significantly advance current alcohol monitoring capabilities. Highest priority will be given to devices that use non-invasive technologies to measure alcohol concentration in the blood or interstitial fluids, as opposed to detection of alcohol exuded through the skin in sweat or vapor. We welcome creative approaches — surprise us!
1st Prize: $200,000.00
2nd Prize: $100,000.00
A complete listing of the Eligibility Rules can be found in the Federal Register Notice. Below is a brief description of certain eligibility requirements. All entrants must:
- Register to participate.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States; for businesses, be incorporated in and have a primary place of business in the United States.
- Not be a federal entity or federal employee acting within the scope of his/her employment.
- Not be an NIH employee, or member (or relative of a member) of the technical evaluation panel or judging panel.
- Not infringe on copyright or rights of a 3rd party.
- Assume all risks and waive claims against the federal government.
- Indemnify the federal government against 3rd party claims.
- Grant NIH a license to post, link to, share, and display entries
- Follow applicable laws, regulations, and policies
- Accuracy, reliability, and frequency of blood alcohol levels as validated by NIAAA.
- Functionality, accuracy, and integration of data collection, data transmission and data storage
- Safeguards for data integrity and privacy protection for the wearer
- Plans for process of manufacture
- Marketability and likelihood of bringing the product to market
- Appeal and acceptability to wearers
How To Enter
For additional information, see https://niaaa.nih.gov/challenge-prize and consult the Federal Register Announcement at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/09/2016-29436/announcement-of-requirements-and-registration-for-a-wearable-alcohol-biosensor-a-second-challenge.
Solvers must register on Challenge.gov and submit their solutions via the “Submit Solution” button on the left tab of this page.
Point of Contact
Have feedback or questions about this challenge? Send the challenge manager an email