About the Solution
Greeley 6 in Colorado has provided best practices for improving verification response rates.
- They mail the verification packets 3-4 times to households. Greeley does this for several reasons:
- Families receiving the large notice several times will perhaps understand the importance of responding.
- Ensure the household receives the packet.
- The verification packet contains the notification letter, a warning letter and an expiration of benefits letter if the request is not fulfilled by the required date. The packet is also mailed in English and Spanish.
- Greeley also provides 1-2 follow-up phone calls. This has lead to some increase in response rates as she can help translate for families. Greeley has even corresponded between households and their employers to get the documentation needed.